Londonderry sailor loves the feel of Navy's revolutionary ship
Engineman 1st Class Robert Carter from Londonderry, N.H. , assigned to the littoral combat ship USS Freedom (LCS 1), monitors the ship's propulsion and engineering systems from the bridge. Freedom is underway in the 7th Fleet conducting routine operations. (U.S. Navy Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Cassandra Thompson/Released)
Engineman 1st Class Robert Carter joined the Navy in 2002. He never imagined he would be assigned to Freedom, a technologically advanced, revolutionary class of ship.
As one of fewer than a dozen engineers on the approximately 40-member core crew, Carter is in charge of the ship's propulsion systems, generators, damage control, firefighting efforts, potable water and air conditioning.
It's shallow draft and maneuverability make it a formidable adversary to small fast attack boats.
"Small communities are, in my opinion, a lot better," Carter said. "You get to learn a lot more outside your rate, and be more proficient at your job, becoming the ultimate hybrid sailor. Also being a small-handed crew, you're doing a lot more work in a lot of different fields, so it makes the deployment go by a little bit faster."
"I spent my whole Navy career overseas, so I'm used to being forward deployed," he said. "But for the first time, I have a fiancée waiting for me at home, so it's tough."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 2
- Tech conference sparks ideas and imagination - 0
- Nashua assessment tests miss the mark - 1
- St. A's board of trustees responds to criticism of graduation change - 2
- Officials proposing cutting Derry school budget by $1.4 million - 0
- St. Anselm in a stir over graduation date change - 13
- Nashua schools struggle to find more time for middle-school math - 0
- Former Gov. Lynch chosen for PSU Robert Frost award - 0
- Keene State College gets funding to further biology research - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads