Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighters battle two-alarm blaze at Portsmouth police station
A two-alarm fire broke out in the basement of the Portsmouth Police Station on Tuesday night, causing significant smoke damage, but no injuries. (Gretyl Macalaster Photo)
The fire broke out around 7:45 p.m. in a shooting range in the basement of the station, Portsmouth Fire Chief Steve Achilles said.
The police station is housed in the same building as City Hall. Achilles said he fully expects City Hall to open on schedule Wednesday morning, but it is unclear when operations will resume at the police station.
Achilles said the entire basement sustained significant smoke damage. The basement houses the men's and women's locker rooms and a gym in addition to the shooting range.
By 10:30 p.m., Achilles had started to send crews home, although he said one or two engine companies would be on scene throughout the night.
Warchol said the fire resulted in a brief interruption in local dispatch operations, which are routed through the state 911 system. Achilles said they were not aware of any missed calls for responders.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 4
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?