Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighters battle two-alarm blaze at Portsmouth police station
The fire broke out around 7:45 p.m. in a shooting range in the basement of the station, Portsmouth Fire Chief Steve Achilles said.
The police station is housed in the same building as City Hall. Achilles said he fully expects City Hall to open on schedule Wednesday morning, but it is unclear when operations will resume at the police station.
Achilles said the entire basement sustained significant smoke damage. The basement houses the men's and women's locker rooms and a gym in addition to the shooting range.
By 10:30 p.m., Achilles had started to send crews home, although he said one or two engine companies would be on scene throughout the night.
Warchol said the fire resulted in a brief interruption in local dispatch operations, which are routed through the state 911 system. Achilles said they were not aware of any missed calls for responders.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 2
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 4
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072