Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighters battle two-alarm blaze at Portsmouth police station
The fire broke out around 7:45 p.m. in a shooting range in the basement of the station, Portsmouth Fire Chief Steve Achilles said.
The police station is housed in the same building as City Hall. Achilles said he fully expects City Hall to open on schedule Wednesday morning, but it is unclear when operations will resume at the police station.
Achilles said the entire basement sustained significant smoke damage. The basement houses the men's and women's locker rooms and a gym in addition to the shooting range.
By 10:30 p.m., Achilles had started to send crews home, although he said one or two engine companies would be on scene throughout the night.
Warchol said the fire resulted in a brief interruption in local dispatch operations, which are routed through the state 911 system. Achilles said they were not aware of any missed calls for responders.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
- Pre-St. Pat's party at UMass turns violent, 43 arrested - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth