Home » Sports » Baseball » Youth leagues
Manchester 14’s take N.E. Babe Ruth baseball title
Drew Merrick’s walk-off single to left field with two outs plated Nate Hall with the winning run in a 6-5 victory over Waterford, Conn. for the 14-year-old New England Regional Tournament title at Bullens Field in Westfield, Mass., Tuesday.
On Monday, they pulled out a 5-4 seventh inning win to beat Warwick R.I., in the semifinals and Tuesday, the Hanagans regrouped after Waterford scored three times in the sixth inning to tie the game, 5-5.
Manchester padded its lead to 5-2 in the fifth inning. Joey Silva singled, stole second and bolted home on a double by Garrett Olivar. Hall, who finished the game with two hits, plated Olivar with a single.
Manchester pounded out 11 hits as Merrick and Swanson each had two hits.
Manchester will return home to enjoy the regional title before resuming play on Aug. 14 when the World Series opens in Moses Lake, Wash.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Top NH political pros to head new Boston office of nationally-known consulting firm
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false