Home » Sports » Baseball » Youth leagues
Bedford 13’s come up just short
The New Hampshire state champions loaded the bases in the top of the seventh inning but could not get another run home, falling to Westfield, Mass., 4-3, in 13-year-old Babe Ruth New England Regional Tournament losers’ bracket play at Gill Stadium Tuesday night.
“Coming down to the last pitch of the game tells you how good a game it was,” said Bedford manager Kevin Lavigne. “It was back and forth most of the game. The kids battled to the end. They showed great character. We were one hit away from a different ending.”
With one out, Jack Yvon’s grounder to Barrett at shortstop was too deep to allow a play at first. Dalen Mochak hit a grounder to third that Ryan Lee snagged, but there was again no time for a throw.
Westfield reclaimed the lead in the bottom of the third, pulling ahead 3-2. Bazegian drew a one-out walk and moved to second base on a wild pitch. With one out, Yvon singled to left field to bring Bazegian in.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 2
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Ads go after Shea-Porter for ACA support
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice