Rochester captures first state American Legion baseball title since '90
That drought came to and end Tuesday night at Concord's Memorial Field, where Rochester beat Nashua 4-3 to claim the 2013 state title.
Rochester, which beat Laconia 6-3 earlier in the day to reach the final, will represent New Hampshire in the Northeast Regional, which will be played Aug. 8-12 in Middletown, Conn. Bedford (2011) is the last New Hampshire team to win the Northeast Regional.
Luke Roberts pitched 6 2/3 innings to earn the win. He held Nashua to one hit through the first six innings, but surrendered three runs on two hits and two walks in the seventh.
Jeff Lunn surrendered four runs (two earned) on 10 hits and took the loss.
Nashua had five hits — singles by Eric Damphousse, Michael Habibi, Nick Reed, Jason Ferlan and Chaz DeWitt.
Struthers also had an RBI single in the seventh and allowed Mark Leahy to score from second. Bellio scored Rochester's fourth run when he reached on a fielder's choice, took second on a throwing error and raced home on Zach Miller's single to right.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
- Railway company proposing Montreal to Portland service through northern NH - 19
- Exeter theater group suspends campaign to save Ioka - 0
- Stained-glass windows get new look at Tucker Free Library in Henniker - 0
- State Supreme Court overturns termination of father’s parental rights - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 2
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 3
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Nashua hero up for Carnegie award
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Scott Brown still weighing options
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840