Rochester captures first state American Legion baseball title since '90
That drought came to and end Tuesday night at Concord's Memorial Field, where Rochester beat Nashua 4-3 to claim the 2013 state title.
Rochester, which beat Laconia 6-3 earlier in the day to reach the final, will represent New Hampshire in the Northeast Regional, which will be played Aug. 8-12 in Middletown, Conn. Bedford (2011) is the last New Hampshire team to win the Northeast Regional.
Luke Roberts pitched 6 2/3 innings to earn the win. He held Nashua to one hit through the first six innings, but surrendered three runs on two hits and two walks in the seventh.
Jeff Lunn surrendered four runs (two earned) on 10 hits and took the loss.
Nashua had five hits — singles by Eric Damphousse, Michael Habibi, Nick Reed, Jason Ferlan and Chaz DeWitt.
Struthers also had an RBI single in the seventh and allowed Mark Leahy to score from second. Bellio scored Rochester's fourth run when he reached on a fielder's choice, took second on a throwing error and raced home on Zach Miller's single to right.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Man wanted in Vermont arrested after high-speed chase in Rochester - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840