Home » News » Roads and Travel
Portsmouth bridge: Another delay
PORTSMOUTH — The opening of the new Memorial Bridge has been delayed once again.
New Hampshire Department of Transportation spokesman Bill Boynton said the motor that controls two of the four traffic gates on the bridge failed during final testing. Boynton said damage resulted when the motors malfunctioned.
The expectation was that the bridge would open sometime this week, but Boynton said that is unlikely to happen.
The New Hampshire Department of Transportation will not accept the keys to the bridge until all testing is complete. Carol Morris, spokesman for Archer Western Contractors, said it is too soon to say how the problem will affect the opening schedule.
“It is hard to get in there while some of this stuff is still going on. If you have construction people on there for 16 hours a day, when are you putting the operators on there to do their thing,” Boynton said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Portsmouth's Memorial Bridge named one of Top 10 bridges of 2013 - 0
- Spaulding Turnpike exact-change lanes to be removed by Friday - 0
- Oddities of winter parking rules - 0
- State highway plan called 'fiscally restrained' - 0
- Senate president tells highway department to 'live within its means' - 0
- Bridge that connects Nashua with Merrimack will be closed for 15 months - 0
- Route 12A reopened to alternating one-way traffic - 0
- Traffic on Rockingham Road in Derry returning to normal - 0
- Wider I-293 may have to wait without more toll revenue - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 2
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 1
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl