Portsmouth bridge: Another delay
PORTSMOUTH — The opening of the new Memorial Bridge has been delayed once again.
New Hampshire Department of Transportation spokesman Bill Boynton said the motor that controls two of the four traffic gates on the bridge failed during final testing. Boynton said damage resulted when the motors malfunctioned.
The expectation was that the bridge would open sometime this week, but Boynton said that is unlikely to happen.
The New Hampshire Department of Transportation will not accept the keys to the bridge until all testing is complete. Carol Morris, spokesman for Archer Western Contractors, said it is too soon to say how the problem will affect the opening schedule.
“It is hard to get in there while some of this stuff is still going on. If you have construction people on there for 16 hours a day, when are you putting the operators on there to do their thing,” Boynton said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Deroy Murdock: Hillary's Benghazi-Whitewater connection? - 1
- George Will: Obama needs Congress to approve this war - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama is rushing into war against Islamic State - 1
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 5
- Pat Buchanan: In Scotland, it's economic man vs. tribal man - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 65
- Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax - 2
- David Harsanyi: The senators who really threaten America - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 10
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it