Construction begins on Hudson’s senior center/TV station
Preliminary site work began in mid-June, when construction crews from Brookstone Builders struck something solid beneath the soil.
Blasting should be completed early this week, allowing work crews to begin digging trenches to extend public utility lines, Colburn said.
The two-story facility is designed to fit in with the site’s existing construction as it will resemble a big red barn, with the TV studio operating out of the basement and senior activities held upstairs.
Selectman Thaddeus Luszey said that the project still fell way below its initial budget range, in spite of unanticipated developments in the process.
Colburn said the ledge problem “probably set back the construction process about 30 days.” However, he expects the building to begin taking shape sometime in August.
Voters in March approved a $1.8 million bond for the construction of the senior center and cable television studio on 2 acres inside Benson Park, a 165-acre town-owned park on the grounds of the former Benson’s Wild Animal Farm amusement park and zoo. Article 12 passed on a 1,766-1,418 vote.
In 2011, the town formed the Hudson Senior Building Committee to oversee the process of building a local senior center.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 16
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads