Construction begins on Hudson’s senior center/TV station
Preliminary site work began in mid-June, when construction crews from Brookstone Builders struck something solid beneath the soil.
Blasting should be completed early this week, allowing work crews to begin digging trenches to extend public utility lines, Colburn said.
The two-story facility is designed to fit in with the site’s existing construction as it will resemble a big red barn, with the TV studio operating out of the basement and senior activities held upstairs.
Selectman Thaddeus Luszey said that the project still fell way below its initial budget range, in spite of unanticipated developments in the process.
Colburn said the ledge problem “probably set back the construction process about 30 days.” However, he expects the building to begin taking shape sometime in August.
Voters in March approved a $1.8 million bond for the construction of the senior center and cable television studio on 2 acres inside Benson Park, a 165-acre town-owned park on the grounds of the former Benson’s Wild Animal Farm amusement park and zoo. Article 12 passed on a 1,766-1,418 vote.
In 2011, the town formed the Hudson Senior Building Committee to oversee the process of building a local senior center.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 2
- Another View -- Charles Lane: The unintended consequences of our immigration laws are severe - 0
- Rockets are the bitter fruits of Israeli generosity - 0
- John Stossel: Why reporting good news is such a problem - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: In Hollywood, liberal values reign, except at the box office - 1
- Pat Buchanan: Impeaching Obama would be a mistake - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain