Home » News » Public Safety
Indianapolis crash victims had Concord, NH ties
Youth Pastor Chad Phelps, his pregnant wife Courtney Phelps, a piano teacher, and a third person, identified as Tonya Weindorf of Indianapolis, were killed when the bus they were on overturned just a mile from its destination. The three victims and 34 other passengers, all members of Colonial Hills Baptist Church in Indianapolis, Ind., were returning from a church camp in northern Michigan.
"Chad was a great leader, and an excellent preacher," said current Trinity Baptist Church Pastor Brian Fuller. "We were all surprised and saddened when we heard about the accident. Our prayers and thoughts are of course with the Phelps family, as well as the woman killed and those injured, and that entire church community."
"Chad was a special kid," said Fuller. "I had the privilege to be Chad's youth pastor for six years. He had a great sense of humor, and liked to perform practical jokes on people whenever he could. He had a great love for God and others. His father had gone out to Indianapolis to become the pastor there, and Chad followed him last year."
"As more people hear about it, there are many that are still just beginning to grieve," said Fuller. "Our prayers are with all touched by this tragedy."
Weindorf, 51, had five children, Leffew said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man injured in Ohio helicopter crash - 0
- BAE worker suffers electrical shock, injuries not life-threatening - 1
- Tubers lose contact with group, spend night in wooded area - 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Patriots Notebook: Physical Browner brings it - 0
- Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse - 4
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 1
- Punch line: The NFL blows it - 1
- George Will: A conservative internationalism - 0
- Sox Beat: Red Sox haven't made a deal for Lester — yet - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The Democrats' cynical impeachment play - 0
- Drew Cline: Home is where the really competent governing is done - 1
- Two GOP heavyweights try to get NH fired up about 2014 elections - 0
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of it
George Will: A conservative internationalism