Loudon cows herd grass was greener in Durham
It is the second year cows from Miles Smith Farm have spent the grazing season in Durham and other farms across the state.
On Sunday, about 17 cattle were trailered and led from a pasture near the historic barn on Emery Farm — the oldest continuously operating farm in the country — to a pasture across the property behind a field of blueberry bushes.
"The faster we can get them in and out of a pasture, the faster the grass grows and then the roots go deeper," Soule said.
Miles Smith Farm has a herd of about 65 beef cows, including Angus crosses and Scottish Highlanders.
Emery Farm was eager to participate.
"I love the concept that we are working with other farms and that's the way it used to be," Soule said.
"You don't need to spend $50,000 an acre, there are a lot of people who want to use their land wisely," she said.
"It is all about bringing animals back into people's lives and reconnecting them with their food sources and what goes into producing food," Karelitz said. "And it's just so much fun."
He said they also do not hay the fields anymore, so having the cows come to graze and fertilize the land is a big help in keeping it viable.
Miles Smith Farm beef is available for sale at their own farm store, at Emery Farm, and at various farmer's markets across the state.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New NHIA president painting a picture of expansion - 0
- Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president - 0
- Students prepare to set sail at Tri-City Christian Academy - 0
- Local teacher makes trip to arctic - 0
- Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated - 7
- Scholar of the Month: Plymouth junior operates on 'full-sprint theory' - 0
- Software upgrade delays grades - 0
- Derry School Board to hold forum on Facility Needs Study - 0
- Londonderry High forms team to get help for teens struggling with depression - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.