Loudon cows herd grass was greener in Durham
It is the second year cows from Miles Smith Farm have spent the grazing season in Durham and other farms across the state.
On Sunday, about 17 cattle were trailered and led from a pasture near the historic barn on Emery Farm — the oldest continuously operating farm in the country — to a pasture across the property behind a field of blueberry bushes.
"The faster we can get them in and out of a pasture, the faster the grass grows and then the roots go deeper," Soule said.
Miles Smith Farm has a herd of about 65 beef cows, including Angus crosses and Scottish Highlanders.
Emery Farm was eager to participate.
"I love the concept that we are working with other farms and that's the way it used to be," Soule said.
"You don't need to spend $50,000 an acre, there are a lot of people who want to use their land wisely," she said.
"It is all about bringing animals back into people's lives and reconnecting them with their food sources and what goes into producing food," Karelitz said. "And it's just so much fun."
He said they also do not hay the fields anymore, so having the cows come to graze and fertilize the land is a big help in keeping it viable.
Miles Smith Farm beef is available for sale at their own farm store, at Emery Farm, and at various farmer's markets across the state.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry Town councilor wants traffic light at English Range Road and Bypass 28 - 1
- Daughter of Korean Air boss goes ‘nuts’ over nuts - 0
- Exit 4A slowly moves forward - 0
- Momentum stalls for sales of hybrid vehicles - 0
- Volkswagen teases a hydrogen-powered Golf - 0
- Removal of 1907 Boscawen bridge less costly than planners expected - 1
- A trio of roundabouts looms a solution to Meredith’s seasonal traffic problem - 0
- Big potential, big subsidies projected in new rail study - 13
- Race to tie up Hampton Beach traffic Sunday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 1
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm