Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A duke or a pest, it's all in the name
The Duke and Duchess Whatchamacallem. William and Kate or something.
The talk is that the new baby prince is generating big revenue for the British royals. (Late-night host Conan O'Brien said we should find a way to relocate the kid to Detroit.)
"Guinness Stout the 1st" has a nice ring to it. "Sir Smuttynose" might have interested a New Hampshire brewer.
It makes as much sense as "Louie." My friend, Louie, now gets to tell people a future king has been named for him, and it didn't cost him a cent.
Apparently, some little creature has decided to take advantage of our Central air-conditioning and moved in.
I know this must bother my North Country friend, John Harrigan, no end. He thinks air conditioning is the Devil's playground or something. But we moved into a little house that already had central air and I must admit this summer's global warming (I mean climate change) made the modern convenience a truly modern convenience.
"I don't want to teach the little critter how to behave," I explained. "I want him, her, or it gone. Vamoosed."
She has promised to look for a "pest-disappear man" next time.
The python that got loose from a Dartmouth College student was found in Hanover. This lowered yet again my opinion of reptiles.
Then there is the moose shortage. New Hampshire apparently has one, so we are going to spend $700,000 to track them. Yet we are still going to have a moose hunt.
Write to Joe McQuaid at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter at @deucecrew.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Best act fast to get our book on NH history - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Happy day, veterans — you've earned it - 0
- Old Man, Sox curse gone, but love endures - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Dr. Stahl was a builder of his community - 2
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A 'bit irked' that report has car facts wrong - 3
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: 'A pretty fine statewide newspaper' - 1
- Best leave 'the Moon,' Buddy's bagel alone - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: NASCAR, comics and question of the week - 2
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: War photos and salty language - 20
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH unveils new 'shield' logo - 14
- 'Unprepared' Canadian hikers rescued from Mt. Washington - 0
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
- Celtics come up big against Nuggets - 0
- Johnson honored for sixth NASCAR title - 0
- Kilpatrick leads UNH women past Dartmouth - 0
- UNH, Dartmouth football players named All-New England - 0
- Manchester Monarchs beat Portland Pirates in shootout - 0
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
Wildcats defeat Maine to advance
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges