Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A duke or a pest, it's all in the name
The Duke and Duchess Whatchamacallem. William and Kate or something.
The talk is that the new baby prince is generating big revenue for the British royals. (Late-night host Conan O'Brien said we should find a way to relocate the kid to Detroit.)
"Guinness Stout the 1st" has a nice ring to it. "Sir Smuttynose" might have interested a New Hampshire brewer.
It makes as much sense as "Louie." My friend, Louie, now gets to tell people a future king has been named for him, and it didn't cost him a cent.
Apparently, some little creature has decided to take advantage of our Central air-conditioning and moved in.
I know this must bother my North Country friend, John Harrigan, no end. He thinks air conditioning is the Devil's playground or something. But we moved into a little house that already had central air and I must admit this summer's global warming (I mean climate change) made the modern convenience a truly modern convenience.
"I don't want to teach the little critter how to behave," I explained. "I want him, her, or it gone. Vamoosed."
She has promised to look for a "pest-disappear man" next time.
The python that got loose from a Dartmouth College student was found in Hanover. This lowered yet again my opinion of reptiles.
Then there is the moose shortage. New Hampshire apparently has one, so we are going to spend $700,000 to track them. Yet we are still going to have a moose hunt.
Write to Joe McQuaid at email@example.com or via Twitter at @deucecrew.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket