Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A duke or a pest, it's all in the name
The Duke and Duchess Whatchamacallem. William and Kate or something.
The talk is that the new baby prince is generating big revenue for the British royals. (Late-night host Conan O'Brien said we should find a way to relocate the kid to Detroit.)
"Guinness Stout the 1st" has a nice ring to it. "Sir Smuttynose" might have interested a New Hampshire brewer.
It makes as much sense as "Louie." My friend, Louie, now gets to tell people a future king has been named for him, and it didn't cost him a cent.
Apparently, some little creature has decided to take advantage of our Central air-conditioning and moved in.
I know this must bother my North Country friend, John Harrigan, no end. He thinks air conditioning is the Devil's playground or something. But we moved into a little house that already had central air and I must admit this summer's global warming (I mean climate change) made the modern convenience a truly modern convenience.
"I don't want to teach the little critter how to behave," I explained. "I want him, her, or it gone. Vamoosed."
She has promised to look for a "pest-disappear man" next time.
The python that got loose from a Dartmouth College student was found in Hanover. This lowered yet again my opinion of reptiles.
Then there is the moose shortage. New Hampshire apparently has one, so we are going to spend $700,000 to track them. Yet we are still going to have a moose hunt.
Write to Joe McQuaid at email@example.com or via Twitter at @deucecrew.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester education standards proposal derided at public hearing - 6
- Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight - 6
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Portland Sea Dogs get past NH Fisher Cats in righty’s first AA start of season - 0
- Keene Swamp Bats edge Sanford in NECBL action - 0
- Manchester's Hanover St. block party kicks off block party season - 0
- Little, MacDonald 1-2 in wild K&N 100 in Loudon - 0
- Kyle Busch focused leading up to Camping World RV Sales 301 - 0
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Hosts hoping for extended Little League district final - 0
Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long
Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy
Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much?
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms