Home » News » Politics » State House Dome
Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Next up in Concord is deciding Medicaid expansion
When the House and Senate could not resolve their differences over the issue - the Democratic-controlled House and Gov. Maggie Hassan want to expand the program, the Republican-controlled Senate wants to wait - they did agree to establish a commission to make recommendations by Oct. 15.
Members met last week for the third time, hearing from Health and Human Service Department officials. They will meet Tuesday to hear from Insurance Department officials.
There are options to expanding Medicaid eligibility, including using the state's Health Insurance Premium Payment program, through which Medicaid pays a recipient's private health insurance premium, or using the health insurance exchange and private insurers to provide coverage for those between 100 to 138 percent of poverty.
The politics of expansion are fairly simple: Republicans don't want the ACA to work so they can use it as an issue for the 2014 elections; Democrats want it to work so they can use it for the 2014 elections.
The group will hold a picnic at noon Thursday on the State House lawn, where subs will be available and participants can listen to speakers talk about the act and its affects on the state.
"From cuts in services to higher premiums to doctor shortages to people being dumped from high-quality insurance onto a substandard Medicaid program, Obamacare will impact almost everyone's health care and access to care," Moore said.
There are 12 full-time vacancies and seven part-time vacancies in the circuit court division, which includes district, family and probate courts.
The state budget includes funds for a new superior court judge this fiscal year and another next fiscal year.
Hassan's Judicial Selection Commission will review candidates and make recommendations to her. She will decide whom to nominate, then seek Executive Council approval.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Familiar faces ready for Organization Day - 2
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Get ready for some undoing in Concord - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: One big decision remains in Concord - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Wind blows a new direction in Concord - 5
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Morse expected to face no opposition at GOP caucus to lead state senate - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: On Tuesday, expect more than 50 percent turnout - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Last, desperate push coming before Nov. 4 - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Crunch time and the dollars are flying in NH races - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Expect casino push to be all the talk - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former New London police chief settles with female accuser - 0
- Alleged parental kidnapper arraigned, ordered held on $250,000 cash bail - 0
- Reports: Celtics near completion of Rondo deal - 0
- Grid coach Cote, BG go their separate ways - 0
- Former owners of 'casualty' of Northern Pass file appeal - 0
- Holiday sales may recover with help of deep discounts - 0
- Wall Street has best 2-day gain since 2011 on Fed optimism - 0
- State Employees Association declares impasse in bargaining - 2
- Shipyard to hire 715 in next year - 2
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Police: Man endangered child after overdose