Tree falls, causes damage to Swanzey school building
“So it happened sometime overnight,” she said.
The pine tree was over 100-feet tall and very wide, and was perhaps dislodged by the heavy rains this summer, she said.
“It just looked like a bad tooth that got pulled,” she said.The Wilcox Building on Old Homestead Highway/Route 32, just past the district’s middle and high school buildings, is more than a 160 years old, having been built by the town in 1850.
“They made it absolutely beautiful,” she said.
The building is assessed at $336,000.
“We just haven’t had time to think about it,” she said.
The tree was removed Friday, but appears to have destroyed the building. Insurance agents are still assessing the damage, though, she said.
“I don’t believe it to be safe at all,” she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 10
- Nashua school board approves changes in design, hospitality, music programs - 0
- Claremont seeks alternatives to demolishing Stevens High School stage - 0
- UNH unveils new 'shield' logo - 26
- UNH lecturers seek to unionize - 12
- Jump seen in number of free, reduced-price meals at NH schools - 1
- Policy change on school milk may cut food waste - 0
- Youngsters show how they would battle 'Nature's Fury' - 0
- Exploring the dark side of social media - 0
READER COMMENTS: 33
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383