Home » Sports » Sports Columns
John Habib's City Sports: No banquet, just baseball
Instead, the director of the Manchester Babe Ruth League decided, bringing the eight teams together at Gill Stadium for a home run derby contest Friday night would be more entertaining.
"I just thought it would be neat for other communities around New England to visit the stadium," he said. "There's so much history here."
"We stay in our normal routine we just went through in the district and state tournaments," Lavigne said. "We can hold batting practice in our own park before the game and take the 10-minute ride to the stadium. We're also going to have great fan support throughout the tournament. It can only help us."
"He's coached in Bedford for nearly 20 years, and has done so much for the kids and league," Lavigne said. "We wish him a speedy and healthy recovery."
"That's the goal, and I think it's attainable if one or both of the local teams are still playing by next Wednesday or Thursday," he said.
"We only had enough kids to fill three team rosters this year on the 13-year-olds level," he said. "We'll have to wait until next spring to see if the sign-ups increase. If not, we'll become a 13- to15-year-olds Babe Ruth League, like we were back in the 1970s. We'll still have all-star teams (Woodlocks, Hanagans, Lebels) for the three levels, but only one league for the regular season."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester, Derry road races draw more than 3,600 trotters - 0
- Holiday road, trail races aplenty across NH - 0
- Wobble 'n' Gobble run set for Thanksgiving in Franconia - 0
- Wolfeboro Turkey Trot aids Lions Club, food pantries - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Communities reap economic benefits from road races - 0
- Road issues bring future Hampton marathons into question - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Time has come for NH road racing Hall of Fame - 0
- Andy Schachat's On The Run: How big are NH races going to get? - 0
- She runs as repayment - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Man wanted in Vermont arrested after high-speed chase in Rochester - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice