Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Drew homers twice, Ortiz ejected in Sox win over Orioles
Shane Victorino also homered for the Red Sox, who remained a half-game behind Tampa Bay in the American League East. The Orioles slipped 4 1/2 games back of the Rays.
Red Sox DH David Ortiz was ejected by home plate umpire Tim Timmons after a tirade following his strikeout in the seventh. Ortiz smashed the dugout phone with his bat and charged back onto the field, where he was restrained by Red Sox coaches.
Ryan Dempster (6-8) limited Baltimore to two runs on six hits before exiting with one out in the sixth to snap a four-start winless streak. Orioles starter Scott Feldman (9-8) was tagged for four runs on six hits over five innings.
The Red Sox snapped a 13-inning scoreless streak on Victorino's RBI groundout in the third and made it 4-0 on Drew's three-run blast off Feldman in the fourth.
Drew went deep again in the sixth on a ball that initially was ruled in play but was called a homer after a review.
Drew, who had not homered in 95 at-bats and was 2-for-20 against the Orioles this season entering the game, recorded the second multi-homer game of his career.
GAME NOTEBOOK: The start of the game was delayed 27 minutes because of rain. ... Boston's Jacoby Ellsbury recorded his 38th stolen base, the most in the majors.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 0
- 'The Granite Wall' stays solid as UNH marches into postseason - 0
- Lebanon City Hall renovation could move forward at hearing - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan