Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Drew homers twice, Ortiz ejected in Sox win over Orioles
Shane Victorino also homered for the Red Sox, who remained a half-game behind Tampa Bay in the American League East. The Orioles slipped 4 1/2 games back of the Rays.
Red Sox DH David Ortiz was ejected by home plate umpire Tim Timmons after a tirade following his strikeout in the seventh. Ortiz smashed the dugout phone with his bat and charged back onto the field, where he was restrained by Red Sox coaches.
Ryan Dempster (6-8) limited Baltimore to two runs on six hits before exiting with one out in the sixth to snap a four-start winless streak. Orioles starter Scott Feldman (9-8) was tagged for four runs on six hits over five innings.
The Red Sox snapped a 13-inning scoreless streak on Victorino's RBI groundout in the third and made it 4-0 on Drew's three-run blast off Feldman in the fourth.
Drew went deep again in the sixth on a ball that initially was ruled in play but was called a homer after a review.
Drew, who had not homered in 95 at-bats and was 2-for-20 against the Orioles this season entering the game, recorded the second multi-homer game of his career.
GAME NOTEBOOK: The start of the game was delayed 27 minutes because of rain. ... Boston's Jacoby Ellsbury recorded his 38th stolen base, the most in the majors.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 43
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 1
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 13
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'