Roger Simon: So, we can stop talking about race now?
It was an exhausting, draining, demanding experience. And it lasted for more than a week.
In the 10 days or so since George Zimmerman was acquitted in the killing of Trayvon Martin, all we have heard about is race, race, race.
We talk about race only at moments of crisis, when it cannot be avoided. Otherwise, race is something that, as a nation, we wish we didn't have to discuss at all. Sort of like the Vietnam War, only more so.
Here, the President said, things get tricky.
Obama didn't say it, but Bill Clinton launched a grandiose "President's Initiative on Race" in his second term that was supposed to lead to a meaningful national conversation, but ended up largely a failure and is little remembered today.
"At least you ask yourself your own questions about, am I wringing as much bias out of myself as I can; am I judging people, as much as I can, based on not the color of their skin but the content of their character?" the President said. "That would, I think, be an appropriate exercise in the wake of this tragedy."
Such conversations need impetus, leadership and discipline to avoid people just shouting past each other, as they do on Twitter and cable TV.
And now we can move on as a nation to resume our national silence.
Roger Simon is POLITICO's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: There is no basis for liberal Hobby Lobby outrage - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: NH energy projects should produce wins for everyone - 15
- Another View - Kevin Baine: No, the Hobby Lobby ruling won't deny anyone contraception - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals dislike America - 2
- Another View -- David Ignatius: Iran overplays its hand - 0
- John Stossel: There's capitalism, and then there's crony capitalism - 1
- David Harsanyi: Not surprising more Americans believe freedom is overrated - 1
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Water-loving dogs should be watched so they don't overdo it - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Argentina tops Netherlands in shootout to reach final - 0
- Uehara named to AL all-star team - 0
- Stocks up after Fed minutes on 'easy money' exit - 0
- Portsmouth teen accused in DWI crash waives hearing - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 0
- Seeking to upend Hobby Lobby court ruling, federal legislation crafted - 0
- NH man sought in connection with Maine murder arrested on unrelated charges - 0
- Man accused of burglarizing state police barracks garage claims his rights were violated - 0
- Marriott's parents to face killer at his sentencing next month - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax