Pope's message reaches NH diocese
Pope Francis meets with native Brazilians during an encounter with representatives of the civil society in the Municipal Theater in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday. (REUTERS/Carlo Wrede/Agencia O Dia)
"We cannot keep ourselves shut up in parishes, in our communities, when so many people are waiting for the Gospel," the Pontiff said.
"It's part of his responsibility, our responsibility, to extend the church to everyone in the state," McGee said. "Bishop Libasci certainly embraces the whole concept of the new evangelization, of getting out and making disciples of everyone in the church."
"It is not enough simply to open the door in welcome, but we must go out through that door and meet the people," he said.
"Certainly as Catholics, we are called always to go out and spread the good news of the gospel," McGee said. "In our society today, there's a number of people who may have been raised Catholic and participate in the Catholic church and are now not as regular, and certainly today it's our mission to reach out to them."
Latin America's largest nation has been rocked by protests against corruption, the misuse of public money and the high cost of living. Most of the protesters are young.
"Between selfish indifference and violent protest there is always another possible option: that of dialogue. Dialogue between generations, dialogue with the people, the capacity to give and receive, while remaining open to the truth," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Drew Cline: A Libertarian plays devil's advocate in U.S. Senate race - 3
- Drew Cline: Eric Cantor, 'Game of Thrones,' and the selling of NH politics - 15
- Drew Cline: In the State House, a weakening check on NH government - 1
- Drew Cline: Street cred and endorsements in the U.S. Senate primary - 2
- Drew Cline: Will Derry provide Senate Republican primary fireworks again? - 2
- Drew Cline: Rubio backs Brown, takes on Jeb (Bush); Bragdon keeps options open - 8
- Drew Cline: A first for the NH GOP since Roe v. Wade? - 13
- Andrew Cline: Norelli takes a break, doesn’t say goodbye - 2
- Drew Cline: Rand Paul's coalition vs. Ted Cruz's army - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release