Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox blanked in Baltimore, fall out of first
This was the third multi-homer game of Jones' career, the last coming in 2012. He has now hit 22 homers this season with 74 RBIs. The Orioles (58-46) finished with four homers in the game, as Manny Machado and J.J. Hardy added solo shots.
Boston starter John Lackey (7-8) gave up three homers and allowed five runs on nine hits in 6 1/3 innings. Those homers were the most Lackey's given up in a game this season.
Jones hit a shot to right that just made it over the scoreboard. The homer also scored Nick Markakis, who singled before Jones came up. Lackey later had to battle through a 10-pitch at-bat before getting Matt Wieters out and needed 30 pitches to get through the inning.
Baltimore threatened again in the fourth, but Boston right fielder Shane Victorino threw out Hardy at the plate. The Orioles shortstop was trying to score on a Brian Roberts single, but Victorino's one-hop throw to the plate beat Hardy, and catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia tagged him out.
NOTES: The Baltimore Sun reported Friday afternoon that the Orioles placed outfielder Chris Dickerson on outright waivers. If not claimed, Dickerson could then be outrighted to Triple-A Norfolk, unless he declines that. He is eligible to decline and that would make him a free agent...Machado snapped an 0-for-9 skid with his RBI single in the third inning...The Red Sox are one of just two teams in the major leagues (Atlanta is the other) whose record has been above .500 all season long. Boston's 1946 team was the last one to go this far into a season and remain with a winning record throughout...Dustin Pedroia needs four home runs to reach 100 for his career.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Mile marker: Londonderry trail’s first step - 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 26
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 2
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 3
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
- Freedom? Thanks for nothing, Obama - 83
- Christmas spirit: For whom do you shop? - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dingman granted conditional parole - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 1
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 1
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 12
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans