Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox blanked in Baltimore, fall out of first
This was the third multi-homer game of Jones' career, the last coming in 2012. He has now hit 22 homers this season with 74 RBIs. The Orioles (58-46) finished with four homers in the game, as Manny Machado and J.J. Hardy added solo shots.
Boston starter John Lackey (7-8) gave up three homers and allowed five runs on nine hits in 6 1/3 innings. Those homers were the most Lackey's given up in a game this season.
Jones hit a shot to right that just made it over the scoreboard. The homer also scored Nick Markakis, who singled before Jones came up. Lackey later had to battle through a 10-pitch at-bat before getting Matt Wieters out and needed 30 pitches to get through the inning.
Baltimore threatened again in the fourth, but Boston right fielder Shane Victorino threw out Hardy at the plate. The Orioles shortstop was trying to score on a Brian Roberts single, but Victorino's one-hop throw to the plate beat Hardy, and catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia tagged him out.
NOTES: The Baltimore Sun reported Friday afternoon that the Orioles placed outfielder Chris Dickerson on outright waivers. If not claimed, Dickerson could then be outrighted to Triple-A Norfolk, unless he declines that. He is eligible to decline and that would make him a free agent...Machado snapped an 0-for-9 skid with his RBI single in the third inning...The Red Sox are one of just two teams in the major leagues (Atlanta is the other) whose record has been above .500 all season long. Boston's 1946 team was the last one to go this far into a season and remain with a winning record throughout...Dustin Pedroia needs four home runs to reach 100 for his career.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hillsborough district names its Teacher of Year - 0
- Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership - 0
- PSU adjunct faculty members approve three-year contract - 0
- UNH, trustees seek to reverse arbitrator's decision to reinstate professor - 13
- NH students take part in computer education week - 0
- Math world stunned by UNH lecturer's find - 3
- Consultant report on UNH Manchester issues almost done - 4
- 'Embrance the challenge ... behold the view,' MCPHS grads told - 0
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan