Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox blanked in Baltimore, fall out of first
This was the third multi-homer game of Jones' career, the last coming in 2012. He has now hit 22 homers this season with 74 RBIs. The Orioles (58-46) finished with four homers in the game, as Manny Machado and J.J. Hardy added solo shots.
Boston starter John Lackey (7-8) gave up three homers and allowed five runs on nine hits in 6 1/3 innings. Those homers were the most Lackey's given up in a game this season.
Jones hit a shot to right that just made it over the scoreboard. The homer also scored Nick Markakis, who singled before Jones came up. Lackey later had to battle through a 10-pitch at-bat before getting Matt Wieters out and needed 30 pitches to get through the inning.
Baltimore threatened again in the fourth, but Boston right fielder Shane Victorino threw out Hardy at the plate. The Orioles shortstop was trying to score on a Brian Roberts single, but Victorino's one-hop throw to the plate beat Hardy, and catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia tagged him out.
NOTES: The Baltimore Sun reported Friday afternoon that the Orioles placed outfielder Chris Dickerson on outright waivers. If not claimed, Dickerson could then be outrighted to Triple-A Norfolk, unless he declines that. He is eligible to decline and that would make him a free agent...Machado snapped an 0-for-9 skid with his RBI single in the third inning...The Red Sox are one of just two teams in the major leagues (Atlanta is the other) whose record has been above .500 all season long. Boston's 1946 team was the last one to go this far into a season and remain with a winning record throughout...Dustin Pedroia needs four home runs to reach 100 for his career.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 23
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 1
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 2
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
- Freedom? Thanks for nothing, Obama - 82
- Christmas spirit: For whom do you shop? - 4
- American blessing: The Pilgrims and self-reliance - 20
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown cites NH as example of Obamacare 'trainwreck,' will keynote NHGOP event