Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox blanked in Baltimore, fall out of first
This was the third multi-homer game of Jones' career, the last coming in 2012. He has now hit 22 homers this season with 74 RBIs. The Orioles (58-46) finished with four homers in the game, as Manny Machado and J.J. Hardy added solo shots.
Boston starter John Lackey (7-8) gave up three homers and allowed five runs on nine hits in 6 1/3 innings. Those homers were the most Lackey's given up in a game this season.
Jones hit a shot to right that just made it over the scoreboard. The homer also scored Nick Markakis, who singled before Jones came up. Lackey later had to battle through a 10-pitch at-bat before getting Matt Wieters out and needed 30 pitches to get through the inning.
Baltimore threatened again in the fourth, but Boston right fielder Shane Victorino threw out Hardy at the plate. The Orioles shortstop was trying to score on a Brian Roberts single, but Victorino's one-hop throw to the plate beat Hardy, and catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia tagged him out.
NOTES: The Baltimore Sun reported Friday afternoon that the Orioles placed outfielder Chris Dickerson on outright waivers. If not claimed, Dickerson could then be outrighted to Triple-A Norfolk, unless he declines that. He is eligible to decline and that would make him a free agent...Machado snapped an 0-for-9 skid with his RBI single in the third inning...The Red Sox are one of just two teams in the major leagues (Atlanta is the other) whose record has been above .500 all season long. Boston's 1946 team was the last one to go this far into a season and remain with a winning record throughout...Dustin Pedroia needs four home runs to reach 100 for his career.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Carol's Obamacare: What Shea-Porter supported - 38
- A chief walks: No charges in New London - 4
- Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand - 42
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 9
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 2
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Nashua men steal empty ATM - 0
- Peterborough man remains free, pending appeal, after conviction on child pornography offenses - 0
- Teen injured in pedestrian/car collision in Hudson - 0
- Manchester police recover shell casings in gunfire incident on Taylor Street - 1
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 3
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 3
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
Budget gets House OK, heads to Senate
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty