Manchester set to host Ruth 13's tourney
“Somewhere along the line over the last three or four years, we’ve played just about every team in the regional tournament,” said Manchester manager Tony Doucet. “I can tell you all eight teams have strong baseball communities.”
The double-elimination format tournament will continue with four games Sunday. Two games are slated for 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, followed by the losers’ bracket finals next Wednesday at 6 p.m. The finals will be staged on Thursday, Aug. 1 at 5 p.m.
Doucet is coaching his 11th All-Star team. His teams have reached the regionals seven times with two World Series appearances in 2010 (fifth overall in Levelland, tex.) and in 2007 in Loudon County, Va., finishing eighth.
Manchester played in five state tournament games last week and Doucet said his team’s strength is defense and pitching.
Doucet has tabbed Ryan Plentzas as the opening round starter. “He’s been outstanding all year and when he’s locked in, he’s as good as anyone. Ryan throws strikes and that’s what good pitchers do.”
Doucet said O’Sullivan is a solid first baseman with a lot of range and, second baseman Aidan Horne and Plentzas, when not pitching, make the team stronger up the middle. Pavitt and Keegan Hall give the team depth at third base and Doucet said he has seven quality outfielders, Matt Nault, Eric Langley, Markus Joseph, Dante Goldner, Bryce Vigneault, Foster and Von Breeden.
and Bedford will keep manager Cary Buxton in their thoughts as he is home recovering from surgery.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'