Manchester set to host Ruth 13's tourney
“Somewhere along the line over the last three or four years, we’ve played just about every team in the regional tournament,” said Manchester manager Tony Doucet. “I can tell you all eight teams have strong baseball communities.”
The double-elimination format tournament will continue with four games Sunday. Two games are slated for 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, followed by the losers’ bracket finals next Wednesday at 6 p.m. The finals will be staged on Thursday, Aug. 1 at 5 p.m.
Doucet is coaching his 11th All-Star team. His teams have reached the regionals seven times with two World Series appearances in 2010 (fifth overall in Levelland, tex.) and in 2007 in Loudon County, Va., finishing eighth.
Manchester played in five state tournament games last week and Doucet said his team’s strength is defense and pitching.
Doucet has tabbed Ryan Plentzas as the opening round starter. “He’s been outstanding all year and when he’s locked in, he’s as good as anyone. Ryan throws strikes and that’s what good pitchers do.”
Doucet said O’Sullivan is a solid first baseman with a lot of range and, second baseman Aidan Horne and Plentzas, when not pitching, make the team stronger up the middle. Pavitt and Keegan Hall give the team depth at third base and Doucet said he has seven quality outfielders, Matt Nault, Eric Langley, Markus Joseph, Dante Goldner, Bryce Vigneault, Foster and Von Breeden.
and Bedford will keep manager Cary Buxton in their thoughts as he is home recovering from surgery.
READER COMMENTS: 33
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council