Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
Deerfield man arraigned on charge of selling heroin that caused death
Police allege that after buying heroin from Leighton, James O'Rourke, 29, died from using the drug.
Leighton was ordered held on $100,000 cash bail at his arraignment this morning and is being held at Rockingham County jail, said prosecutor Zach Cross.
Leighton is charged with sale of a controlled drug with a death resulting, which Cross explained is a special felony that carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.
Leighton has a probable cause hearing scheduled for Aug. 1 at the 10th Circuit Court Derry Division.
Chief Michael Greeley of Deerfield police said O'Rourke's death appears to be unintentional, as the heroin used appears to be free of contaminants.
"We are not sure if he overdosed or just had a bad reaction," Greeley said.
"But I feel we have a strong case, otherwise we wouldn't have turned it over to the prosecutor," Greeley said.
He added that based upon the investigation, he does not think that O'Rourke's death was a suicide. Sgt. Michael Lavoie previously said that Leighton was arrested after a six-month investigation.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Two Keene State students among three newest riot arrests - 1
- Man charged with robbing Rochester bank while wearing zebra-print dress is arraigned - 0
- Judge hikes bail in sex assault, child porn case - 0
- Judge declines to order mistrial in Derry sex assault case - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Police say homeless man stole car, struck pedestrian - 0
- Police investigating pizza store burglary in Plaistow - 0
- Salem police searching for Dunkin Donuts robber who wore Obama Halloween mask - 2
- Information sought in Keene hair salon burglary attempt - 0
- Two men arrested in Nashua armed robbery - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dover police say man broke into same business three times - 0
- Derry's tax rate drops as property valuations increase - 0
- Maine nurse defies state Ebola quarantine, leaves home - 8
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Commodore Nutt takes D.C. by storm - 1
- School's out for voters - 2
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 24
- Senate battle attracts 17,000 TV ads in NH - 3
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 1
Trump fired up over NH mailer
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483