Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Past conviction may be used against man charged in 2001 murder in Auburn
Prosecutors relayed the tidbit about Collins’ alleged deception while asking a judge permission to admit evidence about his 2002 conviction for making a false report to law enforcement.
The state wants to use Collins’ conviction to cross examine him if he takes the witness stand in his own defense, but that decision will be left to a judge.
Prosecutors suggested in court papers that Collins’ account of the murder — especially if he testifies — could be a key aspect of the trial.
Collins eventually admitted to investigators in April 2012 that he shot and killed Jodoin, claiming that Jodoin pulled him into the bedroom and attempted to sexually assault him, prosecutors said. Collins told police he went into the kitchen, retrieved Jodoin’s handgun and killed him.
Collins was arrested for Jodoin’s murder in May 2012 -- four months after a pair of investigators with the state’s Cold Case Unit reopened the investigation.
At the time, he worked a handyman for Jodoin, who owned Mr. I Buy And Sell Everything located on Manchester’s west side.
“He stated that he did not see a handgun, holster or gun-belt during the time he was at Jodoin’s home,” Coughlin said in the motion. “He also claimed that he did not know about the murder until the following day.” A judge recently approved the state’s request to use a similar Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum handgun used in the murder to show the jury during trial. Jury selection is expected to begin in October.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Exeter police say man briefly suffocated 3-year-old girl - 0
- Police say Raymond man hit friend who tried to stop him from driving drunk - 0
- Affidavit: Driver accused in fatal Nashua hit and run had been drinking - 3
- Londonderry coach found not guilty in girl's sex assault - 1
- Police: Convicted Antrim sex offender mentored child he molested - 1
- Raymond man charged with hitting friend with his vehicle - 0
- NH Supreme Court reject's Addison appeal to remove AG's prosecuting team - 6
- Manchester man convicted on drug, weapons counts - 2
- Jury considers fate of Londonderry man in sex assault trial - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact - 0
- Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Gatsas incesed by unauthorized use of his phone number for 'robocalls' - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Vote on death penalty repeal set for Wednesday - 0
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Newest Monarchs making impact - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Aging catchers cause for concern - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings - 0
Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact