Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Past conviction may be used against man charged in 2001 murder in Auburn
Prosecutors relayed the tidbit about Collins’ alleged deception while asking a judge permission to admit evidence about his 2002 conviction for making a false report to law enforcement.
The state wants to use Collins’ conviction to cross examine him if he takes the witness stand in his own defense, but that decision will be left to a judge.
Prosecutors suggested in court papers that Collins’ account of the murder — especially if he testifies — could be a key aspect of the trial.
Collins eventually admitted to investigators in April 2012 that he shot and killed Jodoin, claiming that Jodoin pulled him into the bedroom and attempted to sexually assault him, prosecutors said. Collins told police he went into the kitchen, retrieved Jodoin’s handgun and killed him.
Collins was arrested for Jodoin’s murder in May 2012 -- four months after a pair of investigators with the state’s Cold Case Unit reopened the investigation.
At the time, he worked a handyman for Jodoin, who owned Mr. I Buy And Sell Everything located on Manchester’s west side.
“He stated that he did not see a handgun, holster or gun-belt during the time he was at Jodoin’s home,” Coughlin said in the motion. “He also claimed that he did not know about the murder until the following day.” A judge recently approved the state’s request to use a similar Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum handgun used in the murder to show the jury during trial. Jury selection is expected to begin in October.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ex-Goffstown teacher indicted on sexual assault charges - 0
- Claremont police identify suspect in three armed robberies - 0
- Three boys accused of vandalizing Lakes Region Boys and Girls Club - 0
- Confessed burglar tells investigators pair 'did it for the thrill' - 0
- Bow man robbed at gunpoint near YMCA - 0
- Sex offender sought for failing to register turns himself in - 0
- Raymond man convicted in second sexual assault case - 0
- Champagne dream leads to job applicant’s arrest - 1
- Wanted Vermont man evading capture allegedly tried to run over officer - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424