Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Early butterfly may have been a mourning cloak
"Gardens for children is the current 'thing' in environmental education, health and wellness, healthy eating, etc. We have worked with pre-school through high school. Students love gardens, especially pre-school and elementary grades. Getting them and keeping them engaged is not a problem. Teachers usually support the idea but struggle to fit it into the many demands already crowding the school day. We make it happen by working closely with teachers by providing knowledge and resources they need to be successful. We co-teach with them when that is what they request.
A Canterbury reader wrote in part: "I look forward to your columns, especially your June 22 article regarding a reader's sighting of a white lady's slipper. I see one annually at my family cemetery. I was born and raised in Chocorua. I visit the Chocorua cemetery regularly to honor family members and friends. Each Memorial Day weekend I am greeted with 15-20 pink and one spectacular white lady slipper in a shaded section behind the plot of some dear friends. The flowers are nested along a stone wall and are so beautiful. Their beauty and location are so fitting as our family friends brought so much joy to my life. Thank you for sharing the lady's slipper story so that I also could share mine!"An Andover reader wrote in part: "At the bottom of the slope behind the house we had a giant weeping willow, fully 2 feet in diameter. Every spring there would be 3-4 lady's slippers under its branches. A gust of wind from a late east storm blew! CRASH! Never a lady's slipper since!"
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.