Home » News » Public Safety
Boy, 14, saved at Waterville Valley after heart stops
But he was saved by his coaches, who managed to get an automated external defibrillator on his chest within 90 seconds, according to Fire Department Capt. Jeff Dropkin.
The boy, whose name was not released, was revived by CPR that his coaches and emergency responders performed on him immediately after he lost consciousness at about 2:30 p.m., Dropkin said.
He was taken by DHART helicopter to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon because "he's a cardiac arrest patient, so he has to go there for further treatment," Dropkin said.
Dropkin added that once revived, the boy began talking normally and his body functions mostly returned to normal.
"He came back to life quickly," Dropkin said. "He seems fine now. Getting the machine on him within a minute and a half was key."
His mother flew with him in the helicopter to the hospital, Dropkin said.
The boy's ski coaches had recently taken CPR with Dropkin as their teacher.
"It was coaches with me, their CPR coach, standing above them," he said.
Dropkin was not sure of the long-term prognosis of the boy. He wasn't aware of any medical condition. If he has a less-than-serious health condition, he may be fine, he said.
"I've seen it happen," Dropkin said. "Especially with someone young, if everything goes as it's supposed to and he's saved that quickly, he may okay."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 3
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 1
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072