Home » News » Public Safety
Community rallies around swimming pool as UNH floats closing it claiming safety concerns
But many town residents, some of whom have used the circa-1938 pool for generations, want to see it stay just as it is and have collected 500-plus signatures on a petition.
Mark Rubinstein, vice-president of student and academic services at UNH, said Thursday even if the Hamel Recreation Center expansion has no impact on the pool, the university's concerns would remain.
The petition to save the pool was started by long-time resident Dudley Dudley, a former executive councilor who has also served on the University System of New Hampshire Board of Trustees.
"I know the university is saying that it isn't the fact that it wants to move the Hamel Recreation facility over the pool, it's the quality of the safety of the pool, but they have cried wolf too many times and I don't believe that," Dudley said.
Rubinstein said he hopes to have small group discussions in the coming months before a larger public meeting is held in the fall.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain