Home » News » Public Safety
Community rallies around swimming pool as UNH floats closing it claiming safety concerns
But many town residents, some of whom have used the circa-1938 pool for generations, want to see it stay just as it is and have collected 500-plus signatures on a petition.
Mark Rubinstein, vice-president of student and academic services at UNH, said Thursday even if the Hamel Recreation Center expansion has no impact on the pool, the university's concerns would remain.
The petition to save the pool was started by long-time resident Dudley Dudley, a former executive councilor who has also served on the University System of New Hampshire Board of Trustees.
"I know the university is saying that it isn't the fact that it wants to move the Hamel Recreation facility over the pool, it's the quality of the safety of the pool, but they have cried wolf too many times and I don't believe that," Dudley said.
Rubinstein said he hopes to have small group discussions in the coming months before a larger public meeting is held in the fall.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- House approves regulations on prepaid oil contracts - 0
- Gorham voters approve all articles on town warrant - 0
- Fugitive of the week arrested in Maine - 0
- Jacob Brown - 0
- 2 dead, at least 18 injured in NYC building explosion - 1
- Milan voters support Kenney in tight race, elect two new selectmen - 0
- Auburn police contract approved - 0
- Newton selectmen chairman defeated in election - 0
- Candia to look at alternatives to Central High School - 0
NH oil dealer who failed to deliver convicted in Montana of millions in construction fraud
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal