Home » News » Public Safety
Community rallies around swimming pool as UNH floats closing it claiming safety concerns
But many town residents, some of whom have used the circa-1938 pool for generations, want to see it stay just as it is and have collected 500-plus signatures on a petition.
Mark Rubinstein, vice-president of student and academic services at UNH, said Thursday even if the Hamel Recreation Center expansion has no impact on the pool, the university's concerns would remain.
The petition to save the pool was started by long-time resident Dudley Dudley, a former executive councilor who has also served on the University System of New Hampshire Board of Trustees.
"I know the university is saying that it isn't the fact that it wants to move the Hamel Recreation facility over the pool, it's the quality of the safety of the pool, but they have cried wolf too many times and I don't believe that," Dudley said.
Rubinstein said he hopes to have small group discussions in the coming months before a larger public meeting is held in the fall.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 10
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 3
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 4
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 8
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too