Owner surrenders 60 lovebirds to Stratham SPCA
Some 52 lovebirds arrived at the Stratham shelter last Friday, but another eight were since found at the woman’s house and have been added to the flock.
“She had some health issues of her own, and I think that contributed to her inability to stop the breeding, and so there just got to be too many of them. She did the right thing and called for help,” Ryan said.
The surrendered flock is the largest the SPCA has seen in recent memory and has posed some challenges.
The SPCA will have enough cages after a group known as the Parrot Posse agreed to donate cages for each pair of lovebirds.
“They chew through them pretty quickly,” she said.
At the moment, the lovebirds have been scattered around the shelter. Ryan has four in her office while some have been placed in other offices. One holding station has as many as 42, but they will be split up once the donated cages arrive.
“The birds bond with one another, and we’re trying to figure out if any of them had bonded with other ones, and we’re trying to find their friends,” Ryan said.
Ryan said the shelter is accepting donations to help provide medical care.
Anyone interested can donate by visiting the shelter’s website, www.nhspca.org, and making a contribution with a notation indicating that the money is to be used for the lovebirds.
Anyone interested in adopting lovebirds should download an adoption application from the shelter’s website.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 28
- The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw - 29
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 4
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 11
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 22
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Campbell boys pull upset - 0
- Marchand scores 2, B's win - 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 16
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
- Rocket blast damps Orbital as commercial space rush lures rivals - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters