Mark Hayward's City Matters: A close call for mother, daughter
Janet DeJesus and Shanice Perez know about close calls.
• On July 7, a woman reported she was sexually assaulted on Sagamore Street by a man matching Ojo's description — black male, shaved head — and driving a blue Pontiac SUV, the make and color of his vehicle.
Ojo is a Nigerian native who is apparently in this country legally, according to previous news reports. He seems to know the legal system. He sued the city for false arrest in the 2010 case, a suit the state Supreme Court has ruled can move forward.
His court cases feature lengthy, handwritten motions. With proper grammar and spelling, he writes in near legalese and quotes Supreme Court rulings in his favor.
"It is scary knowing there was a person following me," said DeJesus, who is 36. "To find out two weeks later about him, I thought 'Wow, it could have been me."'
In this case, all of the above.
It's clear that police are concerned about Ojo. The July 11 arrest took place minutes after Ojo allegedly forced himself on the woman. Based on Ojo's recent history, police were staking him out for two hours and parked just down the street from where the alleged attack took place.
"Maybe that (the alleged July 11 attack) would have never happened if they did something. That could have been me," Perez said.
Mark Hayward's City Matters runs Thursdays in the New Hampshire Union Leader and UnionLeader.com. He can be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Negroni family lays claim to namesake cocktail - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: West Side neighborhood loses trees and backyard privacy for the summer - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Southside Middle School, where nary a gripe will be heard - 5
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Take a walk through Manchester's history - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Building owner says it's not easy being a landlord - 2
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: 50 years later, a constant ringing - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: It's a show, it's a sport, and it's tough - 5
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A push for the return of hometown radio days - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A country for old men - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax