Portsmouth names (another) new football coach
Pafford accepted the Portsmouth job Tuesday morning, one day after former head coach Russ Russo resigned. Russo was hired in April.
Russo, who works for the Portsmouth Police Department, said he resigned because a new career opportunity presented itself that he couldn’t pass up. He spent the last 16 seasons as an assistant coach at Portsmouth.
Pafford, 46, was a finalist when Portsmouth was looking to replace Bill Murphy, who resigned after the 2012 season. Murphy had been Portsmouth’s head coach since 1995.
“The reason I went to York was to get a shot at the Portsmouth job,” Pafford said. “I did it to get me ready for a coaching job at a bigger school.”
“I don’t think we’ll miss a beat because pretty much everybody (on the coaching staff) is coming back,” he said. “Our senior class has a bunch of talented, athletic and hard-working kids. I’m excited and ready to go.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dodgers shut out Cardinals in NLCS Game 3 - 0
- Manchester Memorial grad Chris Lambert enters Boston College Hall of Fame - 1
- Finally, Tampa Bay's Sam Fuld gets to meet new son - 0
- Rays blank Indians in wild card game, headed to Boston for ALDS - 0
- Conway’s Locke left off Pirates’ playoff roster - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Playoff roster is Farrell's job - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 1
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released