Home » News » Roads and Travel
Portsmouth bridge contractor penalized for missing opening deadline
It is still unclear when the new Memorial Bridge connecting Portsmouth and Kittery, Maine via Route 1 will open after the contractor missed a July 19 deadline for opening the new bridge. A celebration is planned for Aug. 15. (Gretyl Macalaster Photo)
Boynton said for traffic control purposes, the bridge may open at an off-peak time citing traffic flow concerns expressed by the Portsmouth and Kittery, Maine, police departments.
Boynton said they understand the economic importance of opening the bridge, but it is still a "remarkably expedited" process for a project this complex.
Although the bridge is expected to open earlier, a celebration is tentatively scheduled for Aug. 15 around 10 a.m. and will feature a ribbon cutting by former Portsmouth Mayor Eileen Foley, who cut the ribbon on the original bridge when it opened on Aug. 17, 1923 when she was just 5 years old.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State police targeting unsafe trucks, buses in 72-hour enforcement campaign - 0
- I-293 lane closures expected for next 2 weeks in Manchester - 0
- Another busy summer seen for I-93 construction - 2
- More in Keene paying for parking by cellphone - 0
- Feds to earmark $2M for bridge and road repairs in White Mountain National Forest - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Gilles Bissonnette: To keep Libertarians off the ballot, NH violates their rights - 0
- Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's counterweight to a strong central government - 0
- Tom Woodlock All-Stars primed for success in Babe Ruth tournament - 0
- Manchester waives right to buy Millyard building - 0
- Police search for missing Stratford woman - 0
- Blue Jays cool off Red Sox - 0
- Passers-by, including two active-duty Army soldiers, help rescue mom, daughter in I-93 rollover - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 0
Passers-by, including two active-duty Army soldiers, help rescue mom, daughter in I-93 rollover
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's