NH OKs opening of three new charter schools
The three schools approved last Thursday were the Gate City School for the Arts in Nashua, the Mountain Village Charter School in Plymouth and the Founders Academy Charter School in Londonderry.
In September, 2012, the Board of Education announced a moratorium on new charter schools due to a lack of funds available to cover the adequacy payments of $5,450 per student the state doles out to charter schools. A new rule saying Education Board members can no longer deny a charter school application due to lack of state funding alone is also now in effect.
"The funds we needed were included in the budget," said Raffio.
In 2003, the state kicked off a 10-year pilot program to include up to 20 charter schools. Prior to 2003, charter organizers needed approval from the state and local school boards. In 2011, a bill was passed establishing the pilot program on a permanent basis and removing the 20 school maximum.
"We are so excited to have the opportunity to open," said Cevasco. "Everyone involved has put in so much work on this, we can't wait to welcome the students."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hundreds turn out for annual Newfound Turkey Trot - 0
- Manchester, Derry road races draw more than 3,600 trotters - 0
- Holiday road, trail races aplenty across NH - 0
- Wobble 'n' Gobble run set for Thanksgiving in Franconia - 0
- Wolfeboro Turkey Trot aids Lions Club, food pantries - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Communities reap economic benefits from road races - 0
- Road issues bring future Hampton marathons into question - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Time has come for NH road racing Hall of Fame - 0
- Andy Schachat's On The Run: How big are NH races going to get? - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 14
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383