Home » Sports » Sports Columns
John Habib's City Sports: Lemire eyes Trinity job; L.L. fun starts today
"I definitely want the job," said Lemire, who coached the Pioneers for three seasons before relinquishing his post to Eddie Poisson in 1988. The post opened up again when Poisson recently resigned after 27 seasons with the Pioneers.
"The team captains join us at midfield and Chet introduces us to them," said Bilodeau. "He introduced me as 'Mister Eyes-Are- Gone' and another official as 'Mister Weak Back,' I couldn't stop laughing watching the kids' reaction. But that was Chet, always having fun."
"One year when he was getting evaluated for officiating football, he got marked down for having a beard," said Bilodeau of the bald-headed Swiesz. "Chet took his cap off, pointed to his head and told the guy "buddy, I can't put any of it up here."
In the Intermediate Division, there will be a new champion crowned since last year's winner, C.J. Konkowski of Bretwood in Keene, now at the University of New Hampshire is not eligible for the 16-18-year-old division.
In the juniors (ages 13-15), last year's champion, Joshua Lacasse of Bow, had moved on to the intermediate level. Last year's runner-up, Brandon Gillis of Nashua, will return in hopes of capturing the junior tournament in a field of 47. Medalist winner in 2012, Doug Champagne of Bow, returns along with semifinalist Macky Seppala of New Ipswich, Dylan Lortie of Hudson and Roman Ojala of New Ipswich to challenge Gillis.
This year, the Manchester Babe Ruth League is hosting the 13-year-old New England Baseball Regionals, beginning Saturday, July 27, at Gill Stadium.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Football social planned for Turkey Bowl eve - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Hot stove plus hockey equals cool doubleheader - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Much-loved Lemire was dedicated to city's kids - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: High school hoops preseason jamboree finally a reality - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Monarchs' Morris salutes fans - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Stunning ending authored by Brady. - 1
- John Habib's City Sports: A couple of Pioneers are on the move - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Memorial principal explains football time changes - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Joe Sullivan stories recall a great storyteller - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'