Home » Sports » Sports Columns
John Habib's City Sports: Lemire eyes Trinity job; L.L. fun starts today
"I definitely want the job," said Lemire, who coached the Pioneers for three seasons before relinquishing his post to Eddie Poisson in 1988. The post opened up again when Poisson recently resigned after 27 seasons with the Pioneers.
"The team captains join us at midfield and Chet introduces us to them," said Bilodeau. "He introduced me as 'Mister Eyes-Are- Gone' and another official as 'Mister Weak Back,' I couldn't stop laughing watching the kids' reaction. But that was Chet, always having fun."
"One year when he was getting evaluated for officiating football, he got marked down for having a beard," said Bilodeau of the bald-headed Swiesz. "Chet took his cap off, pointed to his head and told the guy "buddy, I can't put any of it up here."
In the Intermediate Division, there will be a new champion crowned since last year's winner, C.J. Konkowski of Bretwood in Keene, now at the University of New Hampshire is not eligible for the 16-18-year-old division.
In the juniors (ages 13-15), last year's champion, Joshua Lacasse of Bow, had moved on to the intermediate level. Last year's runner-up, Brandon Gillis of Nashua, will return in hopes of capturing the junior tournament in a field of 47. Medalist winner in 2012, Doug Champagne of Bow, returns along with semifinalist Macky Seppala of New Ipswich, Dylan Lortie of Hudson and Roman Ojala of New Ipswich to challenge Gillis.
This year, the Manchester Babe Ruth League is hosting the 13-year-old New England Baseball Regionals, beginning Saturday, July 27, at Gill Stadium.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 10
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 1
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 1
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 10
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans