Bedford 13s break through to top Goffstown for state Babe Ruth title
Geoff Mosseau drove in four runs and pitched the first four innings to help Bedford post a 12-2 victory over Goffstown in the championship game at Monsignor Simard Field.
"We really stressed that it was going to be important to score first in the second game," Bedford coach Kevin Lavigne said. "We felt that if we could score two or three runs early in the game it would negate their momentum.
Goffstown coach Paul Hunt said he planned to start Cody Morel on the mound in the second contest, but scrapped that plan when Morel said he had some tightness in his elbow. Morel pitched the final 1 1/3 inning in the first game.
"At 13 years old I'm not going to take a chance," Hunt said. "We were excellent in the first game, but then the wheels started to come off a little bit. It was hard to take that momentum forward."
Bedford's Connor Collins walked three times, was hit by a pitch and scored four runs in the championship game. Mosseau had a two-run single and a two-run double.
By winning the state title, Bedford earned a spot in the New England Regional, which begins Saturday at Gill Stadium. Bedford will face Eastern Massachusetts in the 1 p.m. game.
"We're looking forward to it," Lavigne said. "It's in our backyard and we'll definitely have great fan support."
Matt Woodard pitched into the sixth to collect the win and had three hits to help Goffstown force a second game.
One of Woodward's hits was a two-run single in a four-run second inning than handed Goffstown a 5-0 lead.
Bedford made three errors in the inning.Woodward struck out seven and surrendered three runs on seven hits in 5 2/3 innings. Morel pitched the final 1 1/3 innings. Tyler Santoro also collected three hits for Goffstown.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Football social planned for Turkey Bowl eve - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Hot stove plus hockey equals cool doubleheader - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Much-loved Lemire was dedicated to city's kids - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: High school hoops preseason jamboree finally a reality - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Monarchs' Morris salutes fans - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Stunning ending authored by Brady. - 1
- John Habib's City Sports: A couple of Pioneers are on the move - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Memorial principal explains football time changes - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Joe Sullivan stories recall a great storyteller - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'