Home » Sports » Basketball
Sam Carey NH All-Star Classic
All-star classic to spotlight top basketball talent
Current and former standout Granite State basketball players are preparing for the second annual Sam Carey NH All-Star Classic, which will be held in two weeks in honor of the former Southern New Hampshire University basketball player who died in a car accident two years ago.
Carey died Nov. 15, 2011, while driving home from Quebec City. At the time of his death, the man described by friends as a 6-foot-8 teddy bear with tattoos left behind a son, Brayden, a fiancee, his family and too many grieving friends to count.
Carey's father, Owen, said the community outpouring was overwhelming. He said SNHU held his son's funeral at the school's basketball court and that SNHU head coach Stan Spirou promised Brayden a full scholarship to the school, whether or not the now 2-year-old grows up to play basketball.
Owen Carey said he sees the All-Star Classic as a way to repay the community that supported his family after the tragedy.
"For us to be able to give back now is just tremendous," he said. "Our heart is that we want to do anything we can to give back for all the community has done for our family."
The All-Star Classic is scheduled to be played Aug. 2 at Manchester High School Central.
The Bonners plan to participate in the event, with Luke listed as a player and Matt, a participant in the NBA All-Star Game 3-point shootout, scheduled to participate in a 3-point shooting contest.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dodgers shut out Cardinals in NLCS Game 3 - 0
- Manchester Memorial grad Chris Lambert enters Boston College Hall of Fame - 1
- Finally, Tampa Bay's Sam Fuld gets to meet new son - 0
- Rays blank Indians in wild card game, headed to Boston for ALDS - 0
- Conway’s Locke left off Pirates’ playoff roster - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Playoff roster is Farrell's job - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 4
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up