Home » Sports » Basketball
Sam Carey NH All-Star Classic
All-star classic to spotlight top basketball talent
Current and former standout Granite State basketball players are preparing for the second annual Sam Carey NH All-Star Classic, which will be held in two weeks in honor of the former Southern New Hampshire University basketball player who died in a car accident two years ago.
Carey died Nov. 15, 2011, while driving home from Quebec City. At the time of his death, the man described by friends as a 6-foot-8 teddy bear with tattoos left behind a son, Brayden, a fiancee, his family and too many grieving friends to count.
Carey's father, Owen, said the community outpouring was overwhelming. He said SNHU held his son's funeral at the school's basketball court and that SNHU head coach Stan Spirou promised Brayden a full scholarship to the school, whether or not the now 2-year-old grows up to play basketball.
Owen Carey said he sees the All-Star Classic as a way to repay the community that supported his family after the tragedy.
"For us to be able to give back now is just tremendous," he said. "Our heart is that we want to do anything we can to give back for all the community has done for our family."
The All-Star Classic is scheduled to be played Aug. 2 at Manchester High School Central.
The Bonners plan to participate in the event, with Luke listed as a player and Matt, a participant in the NBA All-Star Game 3-point shootout, scheduled to participate in a 3-point shooting contest.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Colorful Tradition at UNH - 0
- Media Power Youth targets preventing youth violence - 0
- Better parent-child communication is Pembroke talk topic - 0
- Rivier University in Nashua aims to transform campus with $4 million plan - 0
- Move to Concord eyed for offices of university system - 5
- Nashua in running for education grant - 0
- Teacher cuts proposed in Londonderry - 22
- Derry school district expects 2014-15 25-student enrollment increase - 0
- Derry teacher who brings science to life a national award finalist - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 5
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans