Invasive knotweed in Derry prompts push to stop it
Commission member James Arruda said he’s been in touch with IT Director Doug Rathburn about creating a town map highlighting conservation areas, bodies of water and other town-owned areas. The conservation commission could then use that map to pinpoint areas of invasive infestation to control the species and inform residents.
Over the past year, the conservation commission has undertaken an aggressive campaign to highlight the prevalence of and problems associated with invasive species, especially the Japanese knotweed.
One major issue associated with knotweed — as opposed to some other species — is that cutting it only causes it to spread.
Ives noted that anyone who wants to know what the Japanese knotweed looks like should visit the town’s transfer station.
“If you drive in and look to left and the right, you will see plenty of knotweed,” she said. “We don’t want it and it’s growing abundantly.”
“My goats eat it,” said commission member Paul Doolittle.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Crabapple trees great for wildlife in winter - 0
- Alex Preston makes top 10; with go on tour with 'American Idol' - 0
- Pinkerton contract defeat leads to talk of new school - 0
- Gaining independence back through adaptive skiing - 0
- Telling Your Family Story returns to Loeb School - 0
- Salem Public Works employee says she was harassed - 0
- Saul O Sidore Lecture Series at PSU presents Thomas F. Lee 'The Promises and Perils of the New Biology' - 0
- 'Shrek' to be Prescott Park Arts Festival's 2014 Summer Musical - 0
- Win tickets to see Billy Idol - 0
Win tickets to see Cheap Trick
Win tickets to see Billy Idol
Win tickets to see Rusted Root & The Wailers
Manchester actress Kaleigh Cronin visits Jersey before heading to Big Apple's Great White Way with role in 'Cabaret'
Win tickets to see Craig Ferguson
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown announces exploratory committee for US Senate run
NH Supreme Court: Protecting police from liability more important than rights of man wrongly accused of rape
Manchester police pursuit ends in arrest