Bedford Ruthers advance to 13-year-old title game
Collins singled, walked three times and scored four runs to help Bedford defeat Goffstown 7-4 in the winners bracket of the Babe Ruth 13-year-old state tournament.
"He's an extremely athletic kid," Bedford coach Kevin Lavigne said. "He covers a lot of ground in center field, and we bat him up in the two hole for a reason. He's quick, he gets on base — he's an excellent all-around player."
Grant Lavigne and Geoff Mosseau each collected two hits for Bedford, which never trailed in the game. Lavigne, who scored Bedford's three other runs, is 13-for-15 in the district and state tournaments.
"When you play a team like Bedford you have to be on your game," Goffstown coach Paul Hunt said. "You can't make little mistakes against a team like Bedford. I'm disappointed, but it was a good game."
Bedford improved its tournament record to 3-0 and advanced to Saturday's championship, which will be played at 10 a.m. at Rochester's Monsignor Simard Field. Since Bedford has not lost in the double-elimination tournament, a second game will be played Saturday if necessary.
"For us that's an ideal position," Kevin Lavigne said. "He's our No. 1."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fergus Cullen: The Christmas card many of us wish we could send - 0
- Ben Dick: Teachers had good reason to reject Manchester contract offer - 16
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare: Silence of the insurers - 3
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 47
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 2
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Ice storm threatens the region
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840