Bedford Ruthers advance to 13-year-old title game
Collins singled, walked three times and scored four runs to help Bedford defeat Goffstown 7-4 in the winners bracket of the Babe Ruth 13-year-old state tournament.
"He's an extremely athletic kid," Bedford coach Kevin Lavigne said. "He covers a lot of ground in center field, and we bat him up in the two hole for a reason. He's quick, he gets on base — he's an excellent all-around player."
Grant Lavigne and Geoff Mosseau each collected two hits for Bedford, which never trailed in the game. Lavigne, who scored Bedford's three other runs, is 13-for-15 in the district and state tournaments.
"When you play a team like Bedford you have to be on your game," Goffstown coach Paul Hunt said. "You can't make little mistakes against a team like Bedford. I'm disappointed, but it was a good game."
Bedford improved its tournament record to 3-0 and advanced to Saturday's championship, which will be played at 10 a.m. at Rochester's Monsignor Simard Field. Since Bedford has not lost in the double-elimination tournament, a second game will be played Saturday if necessary.
"For us that's an ideal position," Kevin Lavigne said. "He's our No. 1."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Champagne dream leads to job applicant’s arrest - 1
- Wanted Vermont man evading capture allegedly tried to run over officer - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- AG: Failed suicide attempt led to expectant couple's deaths - 5
- Glitches tied to Medicaid rollout now resolved, officials say - 0
- Rockingham County Attorney files lawsuit to access office, but doors remain locked - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Former Ambassador Bolton criticizes Kuster's 'lack of knowledge' on Libya - 3
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Top NH political pros to head new Boston office of nationally-known consulting firm
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840